How to Get Maximum Benefit from your Skincare Routine
Mar 26, 2021
Our latest Guest Blogger is Joyce Connor: a make up artist, beauty expert and owner of Joyce Connor Make Up. She has been in the cosmetics industry for 24 years and loves everything about skin! Listen to Joyce and Jo chatting about skincare on the podcast.
There are so many skincare products on the market that it can be daunting which product to use first. I recommend using water based products on your skin first then oil based products last. Then let the final skincare product absorb into your skin before applying make up.
Skincare Routine Steps
Cleanse – if you’re wearing make up you ideally should do this step twice, the first cleanse to remove your make up and a second cleanse to clean your skin. Always rinse your skin thoroughly with cool water to remove all product.
- Exfoliate - Use an exfoliating product at least once a week, if your skin is excessively dry you can increase this to twice weekly. Apply the product to damp skin and using a circular motion massage the product all over your face and neck. Rinse off thoroughly and pat skin dry.
- Use a facial mask once a week to give your skin a boost. My favourite are sheet masks for instant results. Sheet masks hydrate, plump and nourish skin rapidly.
- Tone – If you’ve rinsed your face with water, tone with a facial mist like thermal water or a beauty hydrating mist. Hold at arms length, spray a light mist all over your face. The water should just give a light mist rather than make your face wet. Alternatively to give your skin a glow use a glycolic toner, apply the toner to cotton pads and wipe over your face, there is no need to rinse this product off.
- Eye cream – One of the most important steps in a skincare routine. Put a rice grain sized amount of eye cream onto your ring finger. Pat both your ring fingers together and then tap the eye cream under both eyes. Tapping the product under the lower lashes is enough to disperse the product. It doesn’t need rubbing in.
- Serum – Apply one pump of serum into your hands, gently rub your hands together. Press the product all over your face and neck avoiding the eye area. Allow the product to soak in for a minute.
- Moisturiser – Apply your moisturiser all over your face and neck, avoid the eye area. Moisturiser can be gently rubbed into the skin. Leave to soak in for about 5 minutes.
- Final step after moisturiser and before make up is sunscreen. Sunscreen is one of the most crucial skincare products and should be worn 365 days a year. Sunscreen will protect your skin from damaging UV rays and slow down the ageing process. I recommend wearing a minimum SPF15 on your face.
Following this simple skincare routine will give your skin maximum benefit from the products you’re using.
Words: Joyce Connor